Monday, June 15, 2009

My Pretty Little House

The story of my pretty little house began long ago when I was living in a one room apartment with my mother in the suburbs of NYC.  I received the book "The Little House" by Virginia Lee Burton as a gift and while I definitely didn't understand the meaning of the story, I dreamt of having a little house of our own.  We never did, but I grew up happy and healthy in a different apartment, where my mom still lives today.

I went to college and met a man who would one day become my husband; just a few weeks before we got married, we bought our very own little house right outside of Washington, DC. He bought me a copy of the book before we closed on the house, and it has always been displayed in our living room.  We were lucky enough to buy at just the right time, ride the wave of the real estate boom, and sell the house just before the market went south. 

While living in our first little house with our dog, we had two children, a daughter and a son. We decided that city life was not for us, and it was time to move to the country or at least what a city girl would consider the country ... NW Fairfield County, CT.  We found the right town and a job for my husband with little effort.  The house took a little longer, but when we found it, we knew it wasn't perfect, but it could be.  I can proudly say that two years later and with a lot less money in our pockets, it nearly is!  

This is a blog about me and my pretty little house and the husband, daughter, son, and dog that live alongside of me.  

 

1 comment: